Tuesday, January 23rd, 2007 | Podcast
Artist - Track (Label)
01. Fat Eyes - Assult Rifle (Soul Jazz) Buy
Soul Jazz effortlessly puts together 25 years of dancehall in all it’s style’s and connects it to today’s dub step/grime/digital scenes. The Rekid album also on SJR was another highlight of the year.
02. Alice Smith - Love Endeavor (BBE) Info
Maurice Fulton gives us a beautiful dubby disco/boogie rework of Alice Smith.
03. Owusu & Hannibal - Lonnie’s Secret (Ubiquity) Buy
Great album from Danish duo. Skillfully produced futuristic soul music.
04. 3 Chairs - BABO (3 Chairs) Info
Out there Detroit house - how can a 3 Chairs record not be in my best of the year?
5. Nomo - Nutones (Ubiquity) Buy
Another one from Ubiquity. Tight afro beat outfit from Detroit.
6. Rhythm & Sound - See Mi Version (Burial Mix) Buy
Rhythm & Sound’s ‘See Mi Yah’ album gets remixed, with highlights from Carl Craig, Sleeparchive and Hallucinator. Mark and Moritz don their Basic Channel guise for remix duties as well.
7. Kode 9 & The Spaceape - Victims (Hyperdub) Buy
Hyperdub released 2 widely acclaimed albums in 2006. Both the Burial and Kode 9 LPs are dark, menacing and deeply compelling.
8. Cobblestone Jazz - Dump Truck (Wagon Repair) Buy
Superb record from Cobblestone Jazz - quirky electronics, with nice keys on the latter half of Dump Truck.
9. F.S.T.R. - Basic Track (Unrestricted Access) Buy
Shelter keeps up the pressure with a solid amount of releases from Quentin Harris, Filsonik and Timmy Regisford with more of an emphasis on the tribal tracky side of house - just the way I like it.
10. A Guy Called Gerald - Sweet You (Laboratory Instinct) Buy
Acid house pioneer Gerald Simpson goes back to his roots and gives us 24 raw club tracks inspired by 80’s Chicago & Detroit.
11. Omar S & Shadow Ray - Oasis Collaborating (FXHE) Buy
A second round-up of releases from FXHE - one of the most interesting labels in Detroit right now.
12. Martin Buttrich - Full Clip (Planet E) Buy
Great release on Planet E with ‘Programmer’ sounding like an updated ‘Acid Eiffel’.
13. John Tejada - The End Of It All (Palette) Buy
Solid release from John Tejada’s Palette label. His remix of Jimpster’s ‘Square Up’ was also superb.
Direct download: Just_Good_Music_1_22_07_-_Best_Of_2006.m4a
No comments yet.