Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 | Podcast | No Comments
Artist - Track (Label)
01. Gemini - Counting Sheep (Peacefrog) Info
02. Fabrice Lig - Miss It (Playhouse) Buy
03. Basement Jaxx - Get Down Get Horny (Atlantic Jaxx) Buy
04. Kyle Hall - Fuse N Me (Wild Oats) Info
05. Spekter - Pipe Bomb (Sound Signature) Info
06. Lady Blacktronika - Lil Re Re (Sound Black) Buy
07. Storm Bryant - Love Lifted Me (Guidance) Info
08. James Harris - Tuffest Of The Tuffest (Warriors Dance) Info
09. Ani - Love Is The Message (Prescription) Buy
10. Kassem Mosse - Untitled (Workshop) Buy
11. Vainqueur - Solanus (Chain Reaction) Info
12. Ike Release - Phazzled (MOS Deep) Info
13. Echo 106 - Broken Hihat Machine (Mathematics) Buy
14. 3 Chairs - Dreamz (Three Chairs) Info
15. Quiet Daze - The Scenic Route (Transmat) Info
Friday, September 28th, 2012 | Sounds | No Comments
Very excited to provide a guest mix for David Siska and Matt MacQueen’s long-running Sonic Sunset show/site. A house and techno mix featuring many old favourites as well as quite a few recent releases I’ve been feeling. Download/stream the mix here - enjoy!
Monday, August 6th, 2012 | Podcast | No Comments
Artist - Track (Label)
01. Claude Young - Soundscape (7th City) Info
02. Jeff Mills - Urbana (Axis) Info
03. Kraftwerk - Musik Non Stop (Kling Klang) Info
04. Storm Queen - Let’s Make Mistakes (Environ) Buy
05. Donato Dozzy - S.T. (Music 4 Your Legs) Buy
06. Frankie Valentine - Zumbi (Sunshine Enterprises) Buy
07. Outlines - Listen To The Drums (Sonar Kollektiv) Info
08. Lawrence - Jill (Mule) Buy
09. Marcello Napoletano - LMBDA Blues (Mathematics) Buy
10. Theo Parrish & Marcellus Pittman - Night Of The Sagitarius (Sound Signature) Info
11. Talking Heads - I Zimbra (Boots) Info
12. James Mason - Nightgruv (Rush Hour) Buy
13. Omar S - For Us All (FXHE) Buy
14. Lovechild - Sweet Ambience (Strictly Rhythm) Buy
15. Sensual Beings - Detached Feelings (Future Times) Buy
16. Rick Wilhite - Drum Patterns & Memories (Rush Hour) Buy
Direct download: JGM_86_-_Drum_Patterns__Memories_1.mp3
Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 | Podcast | No Comments
Artist - Track (Label)
01. Omar-S - Motion (FXHE) Info
02. Mood II Swing - Move Me (Music For Your Ears) Buy
03. Vincent Halliburton - Flipside (Ferris Park) Info
04. Instant House - Hat Hat (Sacred Rhythm) Info
05. Dancing Flutes - Do The Do (Underground) Info
06. Levon Vincent - Pivotal Moments In Life (Novel Sound) Info
07. Theo Parrish - Sawala Sayale (Sound Signature) Info
08. Hot Lizard - The Theme (Product Deluxe) Info
09. Kym Mazelle - Useless (Capitol) Info
10. Jack Frost - Clap Me (A&M) Info
11. Octo Octa - Coldwaves (100% Silk) Buy
12. Ike Release - Puntigam (Episodes) Info
Direct download: JGM_83_-_Motion.mp3
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 | Podcast, Sounds | 2 Comments
1. Afrikan Sciences - Spirals (Deepblak) Buy
Kicking-off Deepblak’s 10 year anniversary was Afrikan Sciences’ debut album, ‘Means and Ways’. The album explored multiple genres, all with a heavy influence of (hi-tech) jazz running through-out. The dance-floor tracks (’Spirals’, ‘Ejercicios’ and ‘NanoRock Skank’) were subsequently released on vinyl. Afrikan Sciences also provided a killer remix of Aybee’s ‘Build Her’.
2. Ital - One Hit (100% Silk) Buy
There was a lot of hype around 100% Silk in 2011. I personally wasn’t feeling most of the releases but the Ital record really stood out for me - simple yet highly effective. All three tracks on this EP are great and have a similar raw energy found on early Chicago records.
3. Levon Vincent - Revs/Cost (Novel Sound) Info
After a year hiatus, Levon Vincent released two records via his Novel Sound imprint. ‘Man Or Mistress’ was inevitably going to be a huge track for the dance floor, but I preferred the more subtle tracks found on the ‘Impressions Of A Rainstorm’ EP. Either way, both records are essential.
4. Kevin Reynolds - Liaisons (Nsyde) Info
Kevin Reynold’s debut (released via his Todhchai imprint in 2006) was really impressive. This years follow-up (’Favis’) was a little underwhelming in my opinion. However, the ‘Liaisons’ track released via Nsyde more than made up for it. Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 5 years for his next release.
5. Tin Man - Nonneo (Acid Test) Buy
A real treat of a record, Tin Man’s ‘Nonneo’ caught the ear of many. ‘Nonneo’ saw Tin Man focusing on crisp, driving drum programming while keeping the sparse and emotive 303 bassline fairly restrained, producing both a trippy yet upbeat feel. The flip gave us the excellent Donato Dozzy remix, who kept things sparse and let the bassline breathe, which only added to the trippiness.
6. Vakula - You Cannot Resist (Shevchenko) Info
I was quite surprised to not see Vakula featured on more year end lists. The Ukrainian producer gave us great remixes of Herman’s ‘Rock Your Body’ and Steve Reich’s ‘2×5: Movement 3 Fast’, as well offering up 10 releases of his own material. The ‘You Cannot Resist’, ‘Unthank’ and ‘Picture Of You’ ep’s are all top quality and highly recommended.
7. Ethyl & Huxley - Reflexions (Tsuba) Buy
2011 was a busy year for Aybee and his Deepblak imprint. As well as providing stellar remixes for Ethyl & Huxley, Damon Bell and Afrikan Sciences, Aybee also gave us his own ‘11:11′ EP, a split release with Miles Sagnia as well as the ‘Build Her’ remix ep. Deepblak also celebrated it’s tenth anniversary with the ‘Ten’ compilation, which rounded up highlights from the label.
8. Recloose - Electric Sunshine (Rush Hour) Buy
Following-up from last years excellent ‘Early Works’ retrospective, Recloose gave us the ‘Saturday Night Manifesto’ EP via Rush Hour. Recloose’s first new material in three years, the EP is real return to form in my opinion. Both ‘Tecumseh’ and ‘Electric Sunshine’ are killer tracks.
9. Floating Points - Arp3 (Eglo) Buy
In two short years, Sam Shepherd (aka Floating Points) has released some of the finest music around. The early part of 2011 saw Floating Points release the excellent mid-tempo track, ‘Marilyn’ as well as the wonderful remix of Daedelus’ ‘Tailor Made’. The latter half of the year he gave us the acid tinged ‘Danger’, with the very nice (yet too short) ambient piece, ‘Miniature 27′ on the flip. The ‘Shadows’ EP released in early December finished off Floating Points’ year in very fine style. Hoping to hear a full album from Floating Points in the near future.
10. Kassem Mosse - Untitled (Workshop) Info
Wonderfully weird deep house from Kassem Mosse on the always excellent Workshop label.
11. Cosmin TRG - Amor Y Ortos (Fifty Weapons) Buy
A lot of techno coming out of Europe leaves me cold, but 2011 saw a number of producers who piqued my interest, including Romanian producer Cosmin TRG who gave us his debut album, ‘Simulat’ via Fifty Weapons - ‘Fizic’, ‘Ritmat’ and ‘Amor Y Ortos’ being the stand-out cuts for myself.
12. John Heckle - What Once Was (Mathematics) Info
Another producer that I was surprised at not seeing on more year end lists. John Heckle gave us a fine debut album, ‘The Second Son’ (the CD version was completely different from the vinyl, so essential two albums). The ‘Hard Sleeper’ release was also great but it was ‘The 4th Dimension’ EP that did it for me. Also, on Mathematics was the excellent ‘Traces’ EP by San Laurentino.
13. Mr. Fingers - Finger Fuck (Rush Hour) Buy
Obviously not from 2011, but (for most) these tracks only saw the light of day this year. Compiled by Gene Hunt, ‘Chicago Dance Tracks Vol. 1′ featured unreleased material taken from reel-to-reel’s given to Hunt during the 1980’s, with highlights from Virgo 4, Mike Dunn, Craig Loftis, Ron Hardy and Mr. Fingers.
14. Omar S - Here’s Your Trance Now Dance! (FXHE) Buy
Released at the beginning of the year, ‘Here’s Your Trance Now Dance!’ was no doubt going to ubiquitous. Omar S doing what he does so well.
15. Kyle Hall - Down! (Wild Oats) Info
On his only release this year, Kyle Hall gave us two raw looped based tracks. Simple, yet highly effective. Hall’s imprint Wild Oats also gave us the debut release from Jay Simon, ‘Faith’, a great rework of Faith Evan’s ‘You Used To Love Me’.
16. John Daly - Sea Level (Further) Buy
Seattle’s Further Records have released some great music all across the board over the past couple of years. Last year’s amazing Donato Dozzy album, ‘K’, got a much welcomed CD release this year. Other highlights from this year included o1o’s ‘Futurespective’ EP - a collection of Aybee’s headier material from the past few years, as well as the excellent John Daly record.
17. Space Dimension Controller - Max Tiraquon (R&S) Buy
Yet another one that should have turned up on more year end lists. This was billed as a prequel release to next years full length album, but this is really a great album in itself. You can clearly hear Detroit’s influence on SDC but he makes the sound his own. ‘The Pathway To Tiraqoun6′ provides great listen from start to finish.
Direct download: JGM_79_-_Best_Of_2011_1.mp3
Friday, December 24th, 2010 | Podcast | 9 Comments
Some of my favourite artists, tracks and labels from the past year.
01. Actress - Futureproofing (Honest Jons) Info
02. Cos/Mes - DFG (ESP Institute) Info
03. Tornado Wallace - Paddlin’ (Delusions Of Granduer) Info
04. Rick Wilhite - Analog Love (Rush Hour) Info
05. Anthony Shakir - Detroit State Of Mind (Rush Hour) Info
06. STL - Wasabi Flavoured (Something) Info
07. Storm Queen - Look Right Through (Environ) Info
08. Chicago Skyway - Air (Eargasmic) Info
09. Levon Vincent - Double Jointed Sex Freak (Novel Sound) Info
10. Kyle Hall - Solar Funk (Wild Oats) Info
11. Lawrence - Dwelling On The Dunes (Laid) Info
12. Tevo Howard - Crystal Republic (Rush Hour) Info
13. Steven Tang - Aerial (Aesthetic Audio) Info
14. Bnjmn - Unknown (Unknown)
15. Fred P. - It Is What It Is (Strength Music) Info
16. Lone - Rissotowe_4 (Magic Wire) Info
17. Ramadanman - Glut (Hemlock) Info
18. Maddslinky - Lost On Tenori Street (Tru Thoughts) Info
19. Shed - 44A (Ostgut Ton) Info
Direct download: JGM_66_-_Best_Of_2010.mp3
Tuesday, August 31st, 2010 | Podcast | 2 Comments
1. Ame - Fiori (Innervisions) Info
2. DJ Qu - Ahead (Strength Music) Info
3. Tyree Cooper - T.C.X. (Cosmic) Info
4. Grand High Priest - Mary St. Mary (White) Info
5. Little Dragon - Twice (Peacefrog) Info
6. Tevo Howard - The Glass Ceiling (Rush Hour) Info
7. Phuture - Phuture Jacks (Trax) Info
8. Marcel Dettman - Vertigo (Ostgut Ton) Info
9. Fred P - No Looking Back (Soul People Music) Info
Direct download: JGM_62_-_No_Looking_Back.mp3
Monday, July 19th, 2010 | Sounds | 11 Comments
Last month Larry Heard came to San Francisco. Initially, we had planned on doing an interview for the KUSF radio show, The Friday Night Session but, summer in SF means fog which in turn means delayed flights. Because Larry couldn’t make it to the show in time, he was kind enough to reach out and agreed to do an interview via email. Larry Heard’s legacy is undeniable, helping to shape the house music genre as well as influencing many producers with a wealth of soulful, forward thinking music that sounds as relevant today as it did 25 years ago.
Q. You’ve been producing for over 25 years and yourself and along with a handful of other producers in Chicago were pretty much responsible for shaping the acid and deep house genres. In those early years did you get a sense from how people in Chicago reacted, that your music was going to go on to be so globally recognized and important?
A. I don’t recall even thinking very far ahead at that time. I don’t think any of the people who were around making music and doing releases did. Read More and listen…
Friday, June 26th, 2009 | Sounds | 6 Comments
Chicago based Stephen Hitchell dons many guises, producing as Soultek, Phase90 and Variant, as well as collaborating with Rod Modell as echospace and cv313. Hitchell (along with Modell) also runs the echospace [detroit] label, which earlier this year released his first solo album ‘The Seduction Of Silence’ under the Intrusion moniker. In this interview, Stephen tells us about the finer details of running a label, as well as what’s coming up for him and echospace [detroit].
Friday, February 17th, 2006 | Podcast | No Comments
1. Calibre - These Few (Signature) Info
2. Ame - Rej (Sonar Kollective) Info
3. Kerri Chandler - Six Pianos (Deeply Rooted House) Info
4. Hieroglyphic Being - Machines For Lovers (Spectral) Info
5. Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Third Ear) Info
6. Precession - Sandcastle (Deep Transportation) Info
7. Tone Theory Vs. Oneiro - Poverty DeLuxe (Icon Recordings) Info
8. Rodenbush - Awakenings (Transmat) Info
Direct download: Machines For Lovers